The Washington Area Roadskaters (WAR) is a non-profit organization whose mission is to promote safe and enjoyable in-line skating in the Washington, D.C. area. One of the oldest inline skate clubs on the east coast, WAR was founded in 1987 and has had thousands of men and women join its ranks.
WAR is also a social organization where many strong and lasting friendships are formed. Our members have very diverse career, social, and educational backgrounds. However, we all share a passion for in-line skating. If you are new to the area, are seeking a new form of exercise, or are simply looking to meet new and interesting people, we encourage you to try one of our group skates, meet us, and see D.C. in a whole new way.
We encourage everyone interested in Washington Area Roadskaters to check out our Meetup website at http://www.meetup.com/Washington-Area-Roadskaters and subscribe to our skate email list for additional information about the skate club.
For those who would like to see the fun we have, here are a few videos of our recent events. Enjoy!
· Sunday Skate, Capitol Crescent Trail - 19 miles, March-29-2015; http://youtu.be/n_xp0nVh2qA
· Sunday Skate, White House - Kingman Park - Anacostia - Nats Stadium Park - Navy Yard - Eastern Market - Capitol Hill, 14 miles, March 22, 2015; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUAEdKbUBEs
· Sunday Skate, White House to Catholic University, McMillan Reservoir & St. Patty’s Day Parade, 14 miles, March 15, 2015; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pykspw1l-t8
· Sunday Skate, White house to RFK Stadium, Benning Bridge, Anacostia Trail, 13 miles, March 8, 2015; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS98OeiJ2_o
· Sunday Skate - Georgetown, Rosslyn, Downtown DC, RFK Stadium, 16 miles, February 1, 2015 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEwKpQxVdXo
· Sunday Skate, Union Station, Gallaudet University, Union Market, Brookland, 14 miles, January 25, 2015; http://youtu.be/x3Prkxq8PTg
· MLK Holiday Skate, White House to Alexandria, return via Commonwealth & Pentagon City, 18 miles, January 19, 2015; http://youtu.be/tMLeLzAM-fM
· Sunday Skate, White House to Shirlington & return via Crystal City, 17 miles, December 14, 2014; http://youtu.be/hf3gLowhZP8
· Sunday Skate, Northwest-Northeast D.C. Loop, December 7, 2014; http://youtu.be/EVZQRtrQgWQ
· Sunday Skate, White House to College Park & Lake Artemesia, November 30, 2014; http://youtu.be/GxFiBDkB2Vg
· Combined Skate to National Harbor, Sunday, November 23, 2014; http://youtu.be/OysbJirrdu0
· Combined Skate to Anacostia, Sunday, November 9, 2014; http://youtu.be/hrbVqI0jF2E
· Marine Corps Marathon Skate, Sunday, October 26, 2014; http://youtu.be/VNXYVLMTyN0
· Eastern Shore Skate, Saturday, October 18, 2014; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQNONI_8NDU
· Sunday Advanced Skate, October 12, 2014; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWu8-mbc71Q
· Pre-Halloween Skate & DC Bike Party, October 8, 2014; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNf1Co73rok
· Sunday Advanced Skate, Takoma Park, 20 miles, September 28, 2014; http://youtu.be/TXni3NRGnGA
· Sunday Advanced Skate, Georgetown & National Harbor, 29 miles, September 14, 2014; http://youtu.be/oK2En2Tr1nQ
· Sunday Advanced Skate, Downtown DC – 19 miles, September 7, 2014; http://youtu.be/UEButkLm-e0
· Sunday Advanced Skate, White House to Sligo Creek Park, August 24, 2014; http://youtu.be/4RbMCJKxIEA
· Sunday Advanced Skate, White House to Anacostia, July 27, 2014; http://youtu.be/ho7z-Kc42cU
· Skate of the Union Weekend, June 27-29, 2014; http://youtu.be/tPHiy7434Gg
· Sunday Intermediate & Advanced Skates, Washington Area Roadskaters, June 22, 2014; http://youtu.be/hjmv9zKoW3g
· Sunday Advanced Skate, Washington Area Roadskaters, June 15, 2014; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilGW46hyD48
· 2014 Sunday Advanced Skate, April 27, 2014; http://youtu.be/Sju9pFP76NI
· 2014 Sunday Skate, April 20, 2014, Rehearsal for Skate DC Weekend Saturday Skate: http://youtu.be/ERA2s-F9pok
· 2014 Sunday Advanced Skate, April 13, 2014, 17.6 miles; http://youtu.be/ipvhc6xjKiw
· 2014 Inaugural Skate, Sunday, April 6, 2014; https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10203315784998427&set=o.23014731895&type=2&theater
Special Events on deck for 2015
The WAR Annual Meeting was held on November 15 at Jon Deason’s townhouse in Rosslyn, Virginia. Dozens attended the party where the beer and wine was plentiful and the potluck was delicious. WAR business included electing the 2015 board and establishing the 2015 schedule.
Skate DC Weekend 2014 May 2-4 was especially fantastic. We had well over 100 participants, many from out-of-town, perfect weather and a fabulous time.
Thanks to Skate Director and Skate Leader Carl Ford, Skate Leaders Bill English, David Churchill and Chris Myers, Sweeps Jesse Freeman and Steve Bishop, Trish Pierre (hotel arrangements and T-shirts), Mo Harrington (Teaism arrangements) and all other WAR volunteers for a fantastic Skate DC Weekend 2014!
The Eastern Shore Skate led by Mo, was held on October 18. It turned out to be a terrific event, with perfect weather and 17 WAR members participating.
Baltimore Skate Weekend, the second WAR weekend extravaganza was a huge success!
Thanks to Skate Director and Skate Leader Carl Ford and Chris Myers, David Churchill, Trish Pierre, Bill English, Dhana Clark and the many others who contributed.